When I went to school we kept containers in the back of the room filled with salamanders or caterpillars. So when I went to teach in southern British Columbia, I decided my class needed a real pet.
My mother, one time bought two emus at a livestock auction. A weakness for the bizarre runs in my blood. I bought a hedgehog.
Here a few things Prickles taught us.
- hedgehogs sleep during the day
- hedgehogs use the bathroom while they exercise
- the prickles are not too sharp
- hedgehogs eat worms
- but they can eat cat food
- hedgehogs are very persistent
- hedgehogs can escape the cage and hide under the cabinet in the bathroom for several days
- hedgehogs are not allowed across the US/Canada border without an inspection
- US border officials can remember your hedgehog for a very long time
Prickles wanted to hide under her food bowl all day. It was dark under there.
All in all, we enjoyed Prickles a lot. And none of that class will ever need to try to imagine a hedgehog.
RIP dear friend.